7. Birth Ball – Sitting on a Birth Ball can help baby move down into the pelvis and into the position for labor.
8. Black/Blue Cohosh – Taken in tea form is a common way to induce labor. Some midwives also use it during labor to increase slow contractions. There have been some studies claiming that it can have bad side effects for mother and/or baby however. Make sure you research properly AND talk to someone medically trained in their use first.
9. Borage seed oil – Meant to have similar effects to evening primrose oil – dilating and effacing the cervix.
10. Bouncing on birth/exercise ball – Spreading your legs as well as the moving up and down can help the baby move down into the birth canal.
11. Bumpy car ride – Sometimes the baby just needs a bit of a jiggle! Just don’t drive too far from the hospital…
12. Castor oil – Statistically speaking it only works on 57% of women and causes lovely things like diarrhoea and sometimes, vomiting. The theory is that the cramps in the bowel set off contractions. Opinion is still out on whether castor oil causes babies to pass meconium in the womb but a) most women using castor oil are overdue and b) babies that are overdue are more likely to pass meconium so you do the maths! WARNING: Please read the linked article before attempting this, and make sure you’re fully informed on the safe methods to induce with castor oil!
13. Chinese food – Some people have claimed this works a treat. Worth a try!
15. Coffee Potty/Steam – This is a wacky one! The theory is that if you steam a bowl of coffee then sit over it and let the steam go into your er… lady parts… this will induce labor. Although I don’t put much store by this, vaginal steams have been a method used for hundreds of years to improve fertility and relieve bad menstrual periods.
16. Crying or Laughing – Watch a sad movie, followed by a comedy! Both crying and laughing can release a range of hormones which can begin the labor process.
17. Dancing – Don’t do anything too drastic – pole dancing might be a bit much! But if you get in there and swing your hips around a lot, there’s a chance baby might think about coming out.
18. Dates – Six date fruit a day in the leadup to your estimated due date is meant to help with cervical dilation, according to one study. Bonus: The study indicated they can also give you a shorter labor.
19. Eggplant – Many people swear by eggplant parmigiana.1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5