15. Coffee Potty/Steam – This is a wacky one! The theory is that if you steam a bowl of coffee then sit over it and let the steam go into your er… lady parts… this will induce labor. Although I don’t put much store by this, vaginal steams have been a method used for hundreds of years to improve fertility and relieve bad menstrual periods.
16. Crying or Laughing – Watch a sad movie, followed by a comedy! Both crying and laughing can release a range of hormones which can begin the labor process.
17. Dancing – Don’t do anything too drastic – pole dancing might be a bit much! But if you get in there and swing your hips around a lot, there’s a chance baby might think about coming out.
18. Dates – Six date fruit a day in the leadup to your estimated due date is meant to help with cervical dilation, according to one study. Bonus: The study indicated they can also give you a shorter labor.
19. Eggplant – Many people swear by eggplant parmigiana.
20. Evening primrose oil – Can be taken orally from 35 weeks and used internally (good idea to do this at night and use a panty liner) from 38 weeks. It’s meant to soften the cervix so that even if you do get induced, the doctor may be able to break your waters and not need any further intervention to bring on labor. Keep in mind that it can have a range of side effects, so make sure you’re aware of the risks first.1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10