If you’ve cut your baby’s finger while cutting their nail you may feel as if you’re a terrible parent but rest assured – you’re not the first person to do it!
If you’ve accidentally cut the skin on your baby’s finger, there are a few simple things you can do:
- Cuddle your baby. If you simply nicked the skin, it’s likely that you’re more upset than baby. Getting upset will get your baby more upset, so have a hug.
- Apply pressure. Use a clean cloth or wipe to apply pressure till the bleeding slows down.
- Cover with a bandaid. If it’s at a hard to cover angle, use gauze and cut to fit.
To avoid future cuts, there are several options:
- Buy a pair of baby nail scissors or trimmers.
- Make sure clippers are age appropriate (some stage on packet 3-6 months+)
- Cut baby’s nails when baby is asleep.
- File baby’s nails with a nail file.