Many women find that when pregnant, their belly bump can get quite cold, even when the rest of their body is warm. This can be a worry for some women.
Is a Cold Pregnant Belly Normal?
Yes! This is just another of those odd little changes some women experience in pregnancy and in most cases, is normal. However if you’re at all worried, you should always talk to your medical care provider.
There are several reasons that some women may experience a cold belly:
- Because your skin is stretched, your belly’s blood vessels are more stretched out, so your skin isn’t as warm.
- Your belly is further away from the organs that usually help it maintain heat.
- In some cases, it can be due to anemia and low iron – this is something you should check with your doctor.
- Your baby is being kept warm in the uterus but there’s no need for your body to warm your outer belly, as baby is being kept warm.
- Some old wives tale say that a cold belly indicates a baby girl.
Should You Heat Your Belly?
No! You should never use a heating pad or hotpack on your pregnant belly. If you want to warm your belly, put on an extra sweater, snuggle under a blanket or have a warm shower.