I’ve had several people ask me how I make money on my site.
I always thought that to make money off affiliates, you had to write product oriented or review style posts. I’ve found this to be very much untrue, especially once I learned good product placement. I’ve also found that it’s better to use a wide range of affiliates, not just one. For instance I have only two posts on this entire site using one of my many affiliates but I still earn a nice little sum each month, because those posts are so targeted.
Here is a run through of some of my favorite affiliates. Please be aware that some of these links do contain my affiliate code.
1. Monumetric – I love love love this site – it’s what pushed me over the $1000/month mark for Trimester Talk several years ago and then kept increasing. They install all the advertising, while you are able to provide input at any stage, plus provide an amazing dashboard for tracking income, views, social interactions and more. If you’re looking for a managed advertising method, TBN is the way to go. They also provide guest post and other advertising opportunities from time to time, too. TBN is both a PPC and a guest post/affiliate site.
2. Amazon – I’m not a huge fan of Amazon itself, but if you have American visitors to your site, it’s a must. One of my biggest earners, it pretty much sells every product I can possibly think to mention anywhere in a blog post. The bonus is that Amazon is great at upsells, so chances are that most people who want to buy one item will add a few more to their trolley before they check out.
3. Snoozle – This is a small company that only sells one product (wait for it) the Snoozle – a roll sheet for pregnant women. However it’s a great product, plus a great affiliate program, if you happen to ever write about discomfort, aches, pains and PGP in pregnancy.
4. Menstrualcup.co – A great central place to send people if you write anything about periods. Which I do. Not everyone’s topic of choice, but the squeamish factor means that there are a lot of areas where it’s easy to rank in Google for posts about menstruation.
5. Earth Mama Angel Baby – Great natural products and a brand which is well known for its great range of awesome products like Bottom Spray, Milkmaid Tea and Nipple Butter.
6. Blurb – Blurb is a one stop shop for anyone who wants to convert blog posts into eBooks, create virtual or professionally styled magazines or photobooks. Plus, once people click through, they generally fall in love with the concept and can’t wait to get designing.
7. Shutterfly – Shutterfly is great for personalised content, especially for DIY/Crafty posts. Plus, they also let you raise money for your child’s school – bonus!
8. Hubpages – Not really an affiliate, but they’ve got a great little referral program which lets you earn 10% of the ongoing income for anyone who signs up – forever. Hubpages is basically a place to write high quality articles which rank well in Google and make great backlinks (plus there’s the bonus that earnings are pay per view). My main Hubpages account is ranked in the top 100 trafficked on the site, but it’s nice to have a few extra referral dollars each month.
9. Kids Safe inc – Some great safety products, which are a must in pregnancy or for new parents.
10. Morning Sickness Remedies – Great little eBook which is pretty much exhaustive on the topic of morning sickness. If you have any blog posts on the first trimester, you’re going to want to include this affiliate!
11. Moms Affiliate – I’ve only recently joined this site, but I love the concept. It’s a central point to find affiliate programs, giveaways to host (and get paid for), write blog posts, do reviews and more – all for the parenting niche and all paid (with upfront info on what rates on all jobs, or you can set your own rates). Unfortunately I’ve had minimal luck with them, as I think they would work far better for parenting bloggers who have a personalised style and audience.
12. Pretty Mommies – Natural and useful products, but expensive. Selling these to your visitors can really vary based on your target audience.