After delivery, you may feel sore and swollen, not to mention the lochia (postpartum bleeding) and engorged breasts that come with the first few weeks after birth.
When choosing the best way to deal with postpartum bleeding, it’s important to find something that’ll suit your lifestyle as well as be easy to manage. Fortunately there are a wide range of options, plus natural ways you can make the bleeding lighter and end earlier.
Pads or Depends Underwear?
Many mothers make a choice between postpartum options based on the advice of friends, hospitals or their doctor. They’re all great guides, but sometimes you may have a different postpartum journey than expected, so it’s good to know your options.
Reasons to use Depends
- It’s just after birth and you want good all round protection.
- You want to sleep without worrying about leaks.
- If you liked the mesh panties that your hospital provided.
- If you have trouble getting a pad to stay firmly in your pants.
Reasons to use Pads
- You want something that’s relatively easy to change.
- It’s several days since birth and your bleeding has slowed down.
And if you’re not sure what option to choose? Wear both! Some mothers swear by putting the pads inside the depends underwear to manage those first few days after labor. You may also want to use depends for the first few days, and pads once your flow has slowed.