Many women find that by the third trimester, they regularly hear strange noises coming from their belly. These can be clicking noises, popping noises like popping bubble wrap or even strange tapping and bubbling sounds. So are these normal noises or does it mean there’s a problem?
Fortunately, a large majority of women experience strange noises coming from the region of their bump and usually, it’s not a sign of any problems. Here are 8 common reasons you may hear noises from your bump.
Common Reasons for Popping, Clicking & Tapping Noises
Although none of these have been deeply studied, these are some of the most common reasons that medical care providers believe mothers may hear noise from their belly.
- Your ligaments. As your body releases the hormone called relaxin, stretches to accommodate your growing uterus and parts move around, often your ligaments and pelvis can cause noises.
- Your digestive system. If you’ve recently eaten a meal, sometimes you may hear popping sounds during the digestion process. During pregnancy these can be more obvious due to the changes in position of your organs.
- Baby’s joints. As baby moves around, baby’s joints may crack. Just like yours do, when you crack your neck or fingers!
- The amniotic sac. As baby moves and kicks, they can often apply pressure to various parts of the uterus and amniotic sac, swishing around the amniotic fluid, causing some of the noises you hear from your belly.
- Baby’s mouth. Some babies have been known to make crying noises in the womb or even smack their lips.
- Bubbles popping in the fluid. Although unverified, some people believe that bubbles in the fluid may pop and cause the noises.
- Baby’s hiccups. Sometimes, when baby hiccups, it can make a muffled sound.
- Waters breaking. In some cases, you may hear a small pop if or when your waters break. Although only 10% of labors begin with the waters breaking (and babies can even be born still inside them), if you hear a noise and then have fluid loss, talk to a medical professional.